REVOLOUTINARY

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
kelsie.shay.
claire
IZZY
linda
courtneyluvsya:)
amber-
Steph<3
Morgayne
LaurenElizabeth
sb
14 posters

Flightless Bird.

sb

Flightless Bird. Empty Flightless Bird.

Post by sb Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:41 pm

AN: This will be a four or five part story that was inspired by the twisted, agonizing romance of The Hunger Games trilogy. I read the final book today, and I'm still crying. I've been singing Flightless Bird, American Mouth for the past hour. I don't even know why, since it's a song associated with Twilight and I haven't listened to it in God knows how long. It just seemed to fit the story line of The Hunger Games so perfectly.

Anyway, I hope I don't disappoint.

Flightless Bird.
    Flightless Bird. Tumblr_kxw4llYPaz1qzfq59o1_500

Henry stands behind me, and our eyes lock in the reflection of the mirror. The one person I trusted through turmoil and death and chaos and love; he's still standing right there, right behind me. So close, yet just out of reach.

He doesn't talk about the kisses anymore, which should be a good thing, but it's not. It's not because he doesn't remember. It would have been one thing had we kissed once by mistake, but this was a series of pulse-racing, palm-sweating, sneaked-behind-the-curtains kisses.

We both knew what we were doing. It probably would have gone somewhere, too. A relationship? Too messy, but possible. It happened over and over, and I kind of wish it would continue. I thought it would, too.

Until the accident.

How disgustingly cliche that Henry would get into a head-on collision while driving home from my house. Severe trauma to the head, amnesia of the past few years. He barely remembered my name, and I've known him for six years.

It took him a while to warm up to me, a complete stranger except for distant memories of riding our bikes down gravel paths to the lake. But I finally broke through.

And here we are, going to senior prom as friends. He's spent the past two hours at my house, helping me get ready, but not really because he doesn't even know what a curling iron is, let alone how to work one.

He mostly sat around and watched TV, occasionally giving me his opinion when I asked. I finally managed, and now I'm staring at the horrid up-do I managed to twist my hair into.

Henry swears he likes it, but I know he just wants to get to the dance. He's never had patience, even before the accident.

The funny thing about the accident is that while he lost a lot of memories, his personality remained relatively the same; brash, kind, charming, impatient, humorous at the expense of no one. Basically perfect, if you ask me.

"Nina," He says, tugging on my arm. "You look devastatingly beautiful, now can we get a move on?"

I frown. "Are you sure my hair looks okay?"

Henry rolls his eyes, but he smiles genuinely because he can never truly be mean to me, or anyone. "If it looked any more okay..." He trails off and shrugs.

When I raise a carefully plucked eyebrow(hurt like a bitch; never again will I touch the poor things), he supplies, "It looks better than okay."

I sigh and run a hand down my silky blue dress. It's probably made of polyester and other cheap fabric, but I feel like a princess in the floor-length dress that I got on sale at Macy's. Henry had positively beamed when I first came out of my bathroom wearing it.

Then he'd touched my hair, and I had to do it all over again.

"Are you sure?" I ask one final time, and I know I'm really testing his patience now.

Instead of answering, Henry wraps a warm hand around my wrist and tugs me away from the mirror. "We're going to be late," is all he says as he drags me down the stairs and out the front door.

My mom takes two pictures, but that's all. She's been really distant since the accident, more frugal, less trusting of the boy her daughter has known for six years. She smiles as we climb into Henry's Jeep Cherokee.

Henry can drive again, sort of. He doesn't remember the accident, and he doesn't have any fears of driving. He had to pass the driver's exam again a month or two ago--the doctor was really against it--but he got a 96-percent. The doctor didn't say much after that.

We drive to Macy's house, where several cars are already parked, including the limo that will take us to prom. When we pull up to the curb, Henry parks and shuts off the engine. He gives me a hesitant smile, and we climb out and go inside.

Last edited by sb on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    LaurenElizabeth
    LaurenElizabeth

Flightless Bird. Empty Re: Flightless Bird.

Post by LaurenElizabeth Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:49 pm

cant wait for more:)

btw i started reading the hunger games today!
    Morgayne
    Morgayne

Post by Morgayne Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:05 am

adore this <3
    Steph<3
    Steph<3

Post by Steph<3 Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:16 am

I love you.
    [You already know what I have to say about this.]
    amber-
    amber-

Post by amber- Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:26 am

I guess that picture is out of the question haha. PMing you. =]

Now about this story...Stop mocking me about the Hunger Games! (like the pun)
    Kidding, I know you aren't. Anyway, I really like this. And the name Henry. =]

Post by courtneyluvsya:) Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:28 am

moremoremoremore!!!!
    linda
    linda

Post by linda Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 pm

This is really good, Sarah.
    And I love the picture you incoporated.
    Post more soon.
    IZZY
    IZZY

Post by IZZY Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 pm

so, i am a failure at life
    and still haven't read The Hunger Games
    (because I can't find it at my library nor do I have the funds to buy it,presently)
    but I still love this!
    can't wait for more:)
    claire
    claire

Post by claire Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:02 pm

This is rather brilliant.

OHMYGODIZZYILOVEYOURNAME. IT'S AS BRILLIANT AS THIS STORY. (ALMOST. BECAUSE ABERFORTH IS JUST THAT KEWL.)
    IZZY
    IZZY

Post by IZZY Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 pm

: )

OMGHETOTESIS!
    sb

Post by sb Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 am

AN: Thanks for all the positive feedback<3

I've decided this story is dedicated to Lily. I thought about how much I miss her, and I started crying. We had so many fights, countless arguments and debates, but she was always there for me no matter what, supporting my doing something I love.

So I guess when I started typing this story, I thought of her. Because I know she'd like it, even if it's complete crap and makes me want to tear my eyes out. With that said, here's chapter two.

Macy has a huge house. She’s definitely one of the more well-off kids in our school, and this, along with her huge house, results in her hosting pre-parties and after-parties and any other kind of parties you can think of.

Macy has also been a really close friend of mine ever since freshman year. But like so many other things after the accident, she changed. She was suddenly nervous and uncomfortable around Henry, so much that she started avoiding him.

It’s a good thing Henry didn’t remember her, or else he might have been upset. Luckily, he doesn’t, which is why he sticks close to me as we go inside Macy’s house.

As I say hi to a few of my friends, Henry stays within arm’s reach, nodding politely and greeting the few people brave enough to talk to him. He stops in the kitchen to talk soccer with a few of the guys from his old team.

I leave him since I know he’s in his element. Henry was a great soccer player. I say was because he doesn’t play anymore. He goes to every game and even helps coach, but he doesn’t touch the ball, not ever.

“Nina, are you coming to my after party?” Macy asks, nudging my side. She beams at me through thick black lashes coated in mascara.

I look around and find Henry back by my side. We have a silent argument because I can tell he doesn’t want to go, but I do because I like parties.

Henry’s face contorts into a scowl that his heart isn’t in, and I know I’ve won. “Yeah, we’ll be there,” I tell Macy, unable to keep the shit-eating grin off my face.

Macy, looking very confused, nods and sneaks away before she has to talk to Henry herself.

Henry rolls his eyes and sighs dramatically. “She doesn’t even want me to come.”

“No, she does,” I say, even though I know he’s right.

Henry’s not stupid; he’s not blind. He knows people treat him differently because of the accident, but he’s strangely okay with it. He told me once, while we were sitting on my sofa playing “real or not real”—a game we invented to see what he remembered—that it didn’t matter what other people thought of him. He said if they didn’t make an effort to help him remember, then they must not be friends after all.

“Oh, come off it,” He says with a grin. “We both know Macy’s scared of me. Why should we go? I don’t even want to.”

I frown. “She’s not scared of you! And I want to go. Plus, you’re my date, and you should help me make the best of this night.”

Henry sighs. “You’re right,” He concedes, running a hand through his short brown hair. The gel holding it in place is wiped away and his hair returns to its naturally messy state.

I cluck my tongue and fix it. When I get the last curl back into place, I look down and find him staring at me. I avert my eyes and tug his collar and straighten his tie. I look back up, and he’s still looking at me.

Henry has really nice eyes. They’re brown, which makes them pretty plain, but they’re a warm brown. Like the color of milk chocolate. And they sparkle. I’m not kidding; when the light hits them, there’s a gleam.

Henry also has really nice cheekbones, and don’t even get me started about his lips. They’re full and soft and gentle and—oh, my God.

I take three steps back, leaving a good two feet of space between Henry and me. I want to vomit, but mostly I want to kiss him. Just once, on those perfect lips.

I guess the truth comes out here; I don’t want to be Henry’s friend. If you can’t tell, that’s not enough anymore.

amber-
    amber-

Post by amber- Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Lily. I miss her so much too. The scattered emails just don't work. They aren't enough:/

This story? I love it. You bring out the personalities so much and the whole accident thing is mighty intriguing...
    linda
    linda

Post by linda Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:33 pm

I love it Sarah.
    And I agree completely with Amber. (:
    sb

Post by sb Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Next chapter is almost finished<3
    kelsie.shay.
    kelsie.shay.

Post by kelsie.shay. Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 pm

this is awesome:)
    sb

Post by sb Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 pm

AN: This chapter gets kind of weird towards the end. It doesn't flow very well. I apologize! But here it is anyway x]

By the time we finish taking pictures, I’m practically blind. Camera flash after camera flash has forced me to cling to Henry’s arm so I don’t trip on my way to the limo.

Fourteen of us squeeze inside the white stretch escalade that must have cost Macy’s parents a small fortune. I manage a seat between Henry and a girl named Rachel.

Rachel is one of Macy’s cheerleading friends. She’s perky, blonde, and kind of an airhead. She’s sweet as can be, and she loves Henry. Either his memory loss doesn’t faze her, or she’s too dumb to remember. I like to think it’s the former.

“Henry, you look dashing!” She says with a giggle, reaching across me to rest a hand on Henry’s knee.

I like Rachel, really I do, but right now I want nothing more than to ram my kneecap into her chin. I’m not possessive, honest; I just don’t like girls with reputations like Rachel’s to lay a hand on Henry—what is wrong with me?!

I nearly smack my forehead in an attempt to get rid of the horrible thoughts. I like Rachel, and she’s just being friendly.

“I love your dress.”

I look to my right and see Rachel beaming at me, touching the soft fabric by my knee. I smile. “Thanks, Rachel. I like yours too.”

I really don’t because the flashy silver strip of cloth covering her front doesn’t appeal to me at all, but if anyone could pull off a dress like that, it’s Rachel. I just hope Henry doesn’t notice how much skin Rachel is showing.

Because I’m not a knockout, not even close.

- - -

The Sheraton Plaza Hotel is the closest thing our town has to a five-star hotel. Every year our high school holds prom in the Plaza’s huge dining hall, where we pay a DJ to play bad songs until 11:30 at night when everyone gets kicked out.

Henry high-fives a guy named Dave and grabs my hand, tugging me towards the front door like a little boy on ‘free day’ at the zoo.

He gives our tickets to the guy at the check-in desk and nearly yanks my arm right out of its socket, he’s so eager to get into the ballroom.

I have to laugh because this is something the old Henry would have done. Isn’t it sad that I have to differentiate between the old Henry and the new Henry? As if he’s two different people at the same time.

He is, though; two people at once. He’s the boy who rode bikes with me and watched 10 Things I Hate About You even though it was a total chick flick that he didn’t want to see. He’s also the boy in the hospital bed, afraid of his soccer friends and barely able to recall my name.

Sometimes I see glimpses of the old Henry, and I don’t know whether to rejoice or be shaken up. Usually, it’s the latter. Seeing the old Henry is like seeing a ghost; it’s a chilling sensation that makes you remember what you once had and how it’s gone now.

“Nina, think happy thoughts.”

I blink twice and find Henry’s face incredibly close to mine. For a second, I can’t even form a proper sentence. I’m flustered and suddenly very warm, and his hand is resting on my lower back. “Sorry,” I manage to say.

He smiles. “I’m only doing this for you. I want you to have the best prom ever because I ruined the last six months of your life.”

I suddenly feel like crying. “Henry, that’s not—”

“Nina, you helped me remember everything. You could have ditched me for Macy or your other friends, but you didn’t.”

Oh, my God. I scrunch my eyes shut to keep the tears from falling. I can’t ruin my make-up, and I can’t cry at prom. “I wanted to help you,” I say. “I care about you.”

“I don’t deserve that,” He says. “I didn’t even remember when you fell off your bike at the baseball field when we were thirteen. You remember though, right? I had to carry you home on my bike and we almost wrecked twice. Then you had to go to the hospital and get stitches in your knee. I cried the entire time you were gone. How could I have forgotten that?”

I open my mouth to say something, but I just flounder like a fish. What he just recalled was the first time I actually considered Henry my dearest friend. I tried telling him about it once, but he didn’t really get the gist of it. I wonder what else he remembers that he isn’t telling me.

He stops and takes a deep breath, and then he smiles sadly. “All I’m saying is, I want to make everything up to you, starting now.”

I smile. “Okay.”

“Now, before you go all blubbery on me, let’s go inside,” Henry says. He takes my hand and leads me into the ballroom.

kelsie.shay.
    kelsie.shay.

Post by kelsie.shay. Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:18 am

that was cute:)

bahaha i like the part about ramming her knee into the girls shin!
    erika!
    erika!

Post by erika! Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:11 am

awh this is so cute but sad at the same time
    i want more<3
    linda
    linda

Post by linda Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 am

I love how real this story is.
    And the memories they had (well what Nina remembered and told Henry).

And I also love your avvie, SB.
    You look gorgeous. (:

Post more soon!
    sb

Post by sb Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 pm

AN: This is a flash-back. It's longer than the other chapters, so yippee! Here you get a taste of their first rendezvous and Henry's story. Hope you like it!

His hand rested on the arch of my back, pulling me closer. I didn’t think it was possible to be any closer to him, lest we took our clothes off.

Every part of him was touching me, lighting me on fire, making me feel like I’ve never felt before. His tongue was magic, and his lips were so soft and warm and perfect. I was burning from the inside out; how had I gone so long without knowing what this was like? I embraced the fire, the steam, and I gave it back as much as I could.

He cupped my chin in both of his hands and pushed me away, breaking us apart. The flames diminished, and I think he realized what we were doing.

“Nina—” He started.

I cut him off with another kiss because I didn’t want to hear that stupid, horrible speech about how this wasn’t supposed to happen. It was supposed to happen; I knew it somewhere in the back of my mind. It felt so good to have him touch me like that, I couldn’t bear to go back to the way things were before.

His willpower diminished, and we stumbled towards the bed that was piled high with coats. I fell down, and he landed on top of me. The fall seemed to sober him a little again. “Nina,” He said. “What are we doing?”

“Does it matter?” I asked. I didn’t need to say anything else, and we made out for the next five minutes before someone knocked on the door, inquiring why it was locked.

I rushed into the adjoining bathroom and let Henry send the person on their merry way. He was always good with people; better than I was, at least.

He knocked on the bathroom door, and I opened it slowly. Now we were both sobered up; now we both knew exactly what just happened. I stared at him, waiting for the speech or an apology I didn’t deserve.

Instead, he grabbed my face and kissed me again.

We should have talked about it. We should have discussed what was going to happen next, or how we’d go about fixing it if necessary. But we didn’t talk about that; we didn’t even talk.

I didn’t mind at all.

- - -

I guess most people would be distraught when someone they know suddenly forgets a big part of his life, but I’ll be honest; I’m just relieved he’s alive. Henry meant everything to me; still means everything to me.

The night of the accident we were at my house in my basement. We started out watching a movie, but we just ended up kissing through the entire thing. The only thing I remember specifically was that the movie was starring Cameron Diaz.

Henry kissed me goodbye. Let me tell you that kiss was one of the best I’ve ever had. It wasn’t rushed like everything else between Henry and me was; it was slow and sweet and full of purpose.

He left my house around one o’clock. He could have spent the night, but I don’t like thinking about the alternative options. Thinking about the things I could have done to prevent his accident doesn’t help anything; it only makes me feel worse.

The phone rang about an hour later. My parents were furious at first because who in their right mind called at two in the morning? But my mom, ashen-faced, made me get dressed. She said it was important, and that Henry is in trouble.

She treated me as if I was a child; she even tried to pick out my clothes. She wouldn’t tell me what was happening, and my father wouldn’t even look me in the eye.

My mother drove us to the hospital, just her and me, and I really started panicking. Two elevator rides and a long hallway later, I was sobbing in the waiting room with Henry’s mom, Linda.

They said Henry was unresponsive at the moment; that they’re doing everything they can, but he might not wake up.

The other driver wasn’t drunk; she was sending a text message and sped through a four-way-stop. She was a few years older than we were, and she was sitting a few chairs away, completely unscathed. The girl who possibly killed my best friend sat just three chairs away from me in a hospital waiting room.

Apparently, she felt my staring, because she looked up. Then she smiled. She looked at me and had the audacity to smile. It wasn’t a happy smile, I’ll give her that much, but it was still a smile.

I was about to tell her exactly what she could do with that idiotic smile, but a doctor came out and started talking to Linda again. I sank lower in my seat and fell asleep.

The next morning, Linda told me he was okay, but that he needed to sleep. I went into his room and sat down in the chair next to the window. I stayed there all day, thinking about what the doctor said to Linda last night.

Severe trauma to the head, a broken arm, minor internal bleeding.

At six o’clock that evening, Henry woke up panting.

I rang the nurse and tried to calm him down.

“Who are you?” He asked once we got his breathing back on track.

I opened my mouth to say something, but his question stumped me. Who was I? I was his best friend, the girl he kissed in dark basements and behind curtains. “I—I’m Nina?” My voice hitched at the end of my name, making it sound as if I was unsure of my name.

I was, though. If Henry didn’t know my name, how could I be sure?
    Lee
    Lee

Post by Lee Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:09 am

oh my gosh this is so amazing

Post by courtneyluvsya:) Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 am

i want mores love!
    erika!
    erika!

Post by erika! Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:47 am

Awhhh. Can't wait for more.
    <3
    Snookers
    Snookers

Post by Snookers Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:46 pm

love it (:
    linda
    linda

Post by linda Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Gah, that just hurts me.
    Just so sad how Henry can't even remember Nina...
    And I love love the details.

Post more soon, Sarah.
    amber-
    amber-

Post by amber- Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 pm

I was, though. If Henry didn’t know my name, how could I be sure?

I so love these questions you pop into the story. Amazing details and argghh!
    Your emotions are always so vivid! It's like you control moods or something.
    The word love will never be overrated for your writing. =]
    kelsie.shay.
    kelsie.shay.

Post by kelsie.shay. Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 pm

even more amazing then the last chapter!

sb

Post by sb Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:48 pm

AN: I was just looking through my docs, and I found this again. Here's a chapter I typed up a while ago. I'll be continuing this story. I love you guys <3

Dr. Wycoff ended up being Henry’s doctor for the duration of his stay. She said he suffered from mild amnesia. Linda asked what he would and wouldn’t remember, but Dr. Wycoff said it would vary and that no one could be sure.

Henry remembered his mom’s name. He remembered his dad’s name and his birthday and his home phone number. He didn’t, however, remember what grade he was in, where he went to school, or who in the world I was.

Linda’s eyes got all glassy when Henry asked how he knew me.

I was too numb to cry. At least, that’s how I felt while I watched Henry look around blankly. I can’t describe the feeling; it’s cold and creeping, slowly making its way throughout your mind and enveloping you in a sort of despair.

It’s shocking, suddenly realizing you’re completely alone in the world. I mean, I wasn’t alone; I had family and a few other friends, but the one person who knew me best didn’t know me at all anymore.

I guess that was the biggest sucker-punch of all.

- - -

I hated the first conversation I had with Henry, and I’m not counting his horrible waking because I hated that moment more than anything in the world. The first real, sober conversation we had was stiff and awkward. It was as if we were two strangers thrown into a locked room with no warning.

I stood at the big window, staring out at the wide expanse of graying asphalt, wishing I could jump out of the building from the seventh floor. I wondered what the asphalt would feel like against my cheek; warm, maybe. All I knew was I didn’t want to turn around; I didn’t want to face the stranger in the bed, even if there was the chance he could get his memory back.

He repeatedly cleared his throat. “Nina?”

I spun on my heel, away from the window. I couldn’t help the swelling hope in my chest as he said my name. Maybe he did remember who I was, and this was all just a side-effect of the coma.

The blank look on his face said otherwise though. “Nina,” He said again, as if he was testing the name out on his lips. “Short for Christina?”

I wrinkled my nose; I couldn’t help it. “Ramona, actually. I don’t like it much.”

“Ramona,” Henry said my name slowly, looking down at his bed sheets. “You look like a Nina, anyways. It suits you better.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Oh?”

“Ramona’s such a big name for such a small person.”

My jaw hit the floor, figuratively of course, but I was still stunned nonetheless. Maybe it was just the weight of the situation, or maybe it was that tiny reminder of how Henry always made fun of my height, but I started crying.

The tears stung my eyes, and I could feel my throat growing tight with the effort to hold them back. Dr. Wycoff said to keep my emotions contained, because any outburst could send Henry into a catastrophic state.

As if a catastrophic state was worse than forgetting your best friend-slash-possible-girlfriend’s name.

“Are you okay?” Henry asked.

I took in deep breathes, but it didn’t help at all. I blinked several times and a few tears escaped. I wiped them away with the back of my hand. “Sorry,” I mumbled. “You must think I’m some kind of freak.”

He nodded hesitantly. “I know you from somewhere though,” He said quietly.

I wanted to deny my friendship with him, like they do in the movies, but somehow, I couldn’t. I had to tell Henry the truth. “Yeah, we’re friends,” I said, and I nearly choked on the words.

“Ah, shit,” He said, suddenly looking alarmed. “You’re joking, right?”

I bit my lip. Was this what the doctor had been talking about? She said to just talk about simple things, like favorite colors and birthdays and the TV shows Henry watched on the hospital room television.

When I didn’t answer, he scowled. “I don’t know what to say, Nina. I’m really sorry, like more than you can understand.”

I sat in the chair next to his bed and rested my head on the mattress. “Don’t worry about it,” I mumbled. I sat up and sighed. “I think I need to go home.”

I expected him to object, but instead he just nodded. “Okay,” He said. “Could you send my mom in when you leave?”

“Yeah,” I said, and then I left as quickly as possible.

After a very long, unpleasant conversation with Linda, I agreed to come by to visit Henry every day. I couldn’t resist the pleading, desperate look on her face, so I went home with a guilty conscience and cried myself to sleep.

kelsie.shay.
    kelsie.shay.

Post by kelsie.shay. Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:37 pm

love this very very much.
    erika!
    erika!

Post by erika! Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Awh this is so sad
    But lovee this post more soon pleasee<3

Post by courtneyluvsya:) Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:58 pm

more!
    Lexi

Post by Lexi Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

This is so sweet/sad, but its soooo good.... Continue!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content