REVOLOUTINARY

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Sailing Hope <3

Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Sailing Hope <3 Empty Sailing Hope <3

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:16 am

Sailing Hope

Sailing Hope <3 Boat

Here
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Sailing Hope <3 Empty Re: Sailing Hope <3

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:17 am

Prologue

Here is where I belong; the familiar feeling of sand brushing through my toes and the smell of fried fish traveling from the Pier Diner. The sun beats down from the middle of a clear blue sky, causing me to sweat, but it doesn’t bother me. The ocean is, after all, only steps from refreshing me. I look around at the familiar landscape I’ve missed so dearly, smiling at the tourists licking melting ice cream cones. It’s all so serene, it’s all so calm.
    Yet, something is missing from the perfect scenery I’ve missed so dearly. But I can’t necessarily say something. Perhaps it’s simply someone. Frowning, I walk for the old creaky stairs that lead up to the water, walking over the warm inviting sand. As I reach the pier, I look over my shoulder, catching one last glance over the peaceful waves, to where a boat is drifting off far away. Its going places I’ll never see, without me. The boat of Hope is once again departing, taking part of me with it.

MusicPlaylist
    Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:18 am

Chapters
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:42 am

Chapter One

I sit on the steps of the boardwalk, knees tucked together underneath me, head rested on the splintered wood. The wind catches the edge of my slightly loose V-neck, sending it out billowing around me in an unflattering way. Upstairs, the quiet sound of an old 60s track trails the wind from the diner, floating down on the drunk partiers beneath the pier. I sigh; content to be alone by myself. I lift the cigarette I’ve been smoking to my lips subtly, hoping to keep my presence discreet from the group of smokers and drinkers who are caught in another pointless game of Chicken. They wrestle each other onto the sand until a person screams mercy, coming up from the Sand to breathe before another person tackles them once again. It’s boring and stupid to me as I stare at the starry night. The clouds have disappeared after the light spring shower this afternoon, leaving only the bright light of the full moon visible along with the midnight dark sky and endless stars. I feel as if I’m trapped in my own planetarium, surrounded by the things I love most.
    Exhaling, I catch the sight of a familiar head of mused brown curls and a black ‘Rams’ hoodie, frowning. What’s he doing here, I pondered glaring at his shadow with venomous hate. I watched approaching figure with curiosity as I continued to inhale and exhale trying to relax. It was near the impossible to do so. Discontent, I stood up, brushing the sand from my bare legs, the heat from the sun still warm on my legs as I did so. “Why are you here?” I asked him, the prying side of me finally winning as I marched over. He stopped in his tracks, staring at me with his impossible green eyes peculiarly. I frowned, angered by his silence and even more his presence. “I told you to leave me alone.”
    “You told me to leave, not that I couldn’t come back,” He reasoned, shoving his hands into his pockets awkwardly as I stared on, unamused. Instead of honoring his reply, I stared back dumbly over his shoulders at the crashing waves. “Oh come on, aren’t you going to let me explain.”
    “Haven’t you explained enough?” I challenged, mustering as much anger as possible at his puppy-dog face. But, I had to recognize the fact that it was increasingly difficult to do so. He shook his head, staring at me blankly. It always came down to this, the part when he no longer knew what to do. With me, with really anything.
    “I only said I didn’t understand why you acted this way.” He argued, taking a daring step closer.
    “Reese, you can’t love me if you don’t , quote understand me, end quote.” I beckoned back, frustrated by his immaturity.
    “You’re pissed at me for smoking pot, it was one time Hope, one time.” Reese replied a little louder, fisting his fingers into tiny balls like he always did when he couldn’t find words to express himself. It was thoroughly pathetic.
    “You’re going to end up just like the rest of your friends Reese, useless.” I yelped back, a little louder than he did, feeling it was necessary to help get my point across. “What do they do for our society? Nothing, they’re useless pigs who sit around wasting their parent’s money on illegal drugs and hitting on girls who are too high to realize how gross they are.”
    “Shit, Hope. Could you leave them the fuck out of this? Why do you think I’m like all of them?” Reese snapped, prodding a finger into my chest slightly violently as he became angrier. In moments like these I wondered how such few words could turn him from a guilty boy into an angry man.
    “Because,” I yelled, “You are just like them.” Frowning, I lifted my finger, in turn prodding it into his chest rather harshly, “You let them talk you into one thing Reese, and they can talk you into every fucking shit they want.”
    “You don’t even try to like them,” He accused, grunting his words in an almost incomprehensible way.
    “No, because it’s not my job to try to understand the mind of screwed up teenagers.” I reasoned slightly gentler, hoping to stop the fighting now. It was giving me an intense headache, not to mention I’d lost my cigarette in the sand ages ago.
    “You’re such a hypocritical bitch,” He laughed, not hearing my tone previously, “You sit here, smoking your God damn cigarettes thinking you’re better than the fucking world. But you’re not, hell I’m probably the only one here who probably likes you and your cynical ways.”
    “Yeah,” I giggled hysterically, crossing my arms over my chest, “Don’t lie, you love me because of how I act.”
    “I’m not even sure that’s true anymore Hope,” Reese replied quietly, tucking his hands into the pocket of his sweatshirt. The words hit me like a hard punch to the gut, causing me to stumble backwards a few steps.
    “What?” I asked, wanting him to repeat it, hoping it’d cause him more pain this time than it had before.
    “I think we should end things,” Reese confirmed more confidently, “Me and the guys were talking, and really, this is all um, just a little dysfunctional?”
    “Really, you and the guys? Honestly Reese, I told you it’d come to this. So that’s your choice? Them?” I tried to reason with him, the way he seemed so sure of his decisions, the way his Green eyes were the color of the sea when it rained, the way his hair curled so perfectly after a swim near the pier, the way he laughed at my jokes, and even the way he’d always said my name.
    “Yes,” Reese struggled, shaking his head, “I didn’t want it to end like this Hope, really.”
    “Summer loving, happened so fast right?” I snapped, sounding just like the bitter bitch I was. Reasonably though, of course.
    “Hope, please.” Reese shut his eyes as I struggled to no fight it. I wasn’t prepared for this. I mean, we always fought, but no matter what we always ended up together again. We’d always been so perfectly dysfunctional that way. Right?
    “I get it,” I nodded, pretending to understand while my mind tried to work a way around it. “I have to go, I’m needed at home.” I tried to walk backwards, out of there as quickly as I could, but tripped backwards falling flat on my ass.
    “Hope,” He murmured, holding out a hand to me, and all I wanted to do was kiss him, to make it right that way. Instead, I reached up for it, trying to keep the tears from springing to my eyes just yet. He helped me up, stabilizing me for only moments before he left. “See you around.”
    “Yeah,” I whispered into the suddenly chilly air. And suddenly, I ran. The crashing waves sounded scary and dangerous, the chatter of the party was too loud, and the music was claustrophobic. Tears fell down my cheeks as I ran along the sand, my calves burning with the effect as the tiny grains trickled away towards the water. I cried until there were no tears left, and it was already dawn.
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:42 am

Chapter Two

I extinguished my cigarette on the balcony, tossing it over the edge before walking through the front door. My mother was sitting at the table apprehensively, a cup of steaming Joe gripped tightly in her palms. At the sounds of the door shutting, she flew up from her chair, frowning.
    “Morning,” I tried to sound cheerful but it came out stiff and mumbled. Not to mention my breath still tasted like crap.
    “Hope Fletcher,” My mother started, charging for me with her usual pissed of look. “Where the hell were you all night?”
    “Nowhere,” I replied exhausted, walking straight for the freezer. I needed a serious pint of Ben n Jerry’s and a shower pronto.
    “You smell like cigarettes,” She stated dumbly, sniffing my jacket cockily.
    “Really?” I retorted sarcastically, gathering my hair into a messy ponytail at the nape of my neck before letting it drop again in a ratty mess around my shoulders.
    “Hope, don’t give me this shit again, sit your tiny ass down.” My mother yelled, her eyes narrowing as she grew even more heated. Ignoring her, I grabbed my pint of ice cream and the paper off the coffee table.
    “Later,” I called over my shoulder as I headed for the hallway.
    “Hope!” She repeated more sternly, but I ignored her like everyone ignored me. And I couldn’t lie, it felt good to do the leaving. But of course, she chose not to follow instead retreating to her own tiny state of mind; the one where she could pretend like she didn’t have me. I knew I was being judgmental of her, but really how many people want a single mother? Who wants a family where their dad is off to sea enjoying his merry life as your mother tries to make ends meet. No one.
    When I emerged from my room later, I was freshly showered, napped, and in a slightly better mood. Especially for a girl whose boyfriend has just flat out dumped her on the beach. My mother was no longer in the kitchen, but sitting outside on the phone with someone. I watched as she shook her head like a disappointed mother (which she probably was) and chocked out words furiously (which she no doubt was). Bored of her typical ‘angry mother act’, I left the house feeling a nice walk would do me good.
    As I kicked a rock along the road, I was relieved to be outside again. The cool air from the water drifted past the rows of beach houses, knocking me backwards with its force. Smiling, I lit a cigarette, enjoying its calming nature as I walked. Before long, I was subdued into a mellow trance once again. I decided to take a ‘Reese who?’ attitude as a result. Of course, it would be at this moment I came across Reese’s entourage of rich schoolboy friends. They were all amusingly showing the signs of a hangover as they shielded themselves in the shade of their cars.
    “Hope, my main lady,” Reese’s best friend Harold called out. Typically, I’d be undisturbed by their antics, but it was in moments like this where I was sick of their bullshit. Not to mention, it was time to prove it. “You want a drink? You probably could use one after Reese dumped you last night!” I rolled my eyes, but Nick took Howard’s bait joining in.
    “Please, don’t. I swear to you, we belong together. You’re friends are such jerks. I can’t believe you hawn-estly chose them over me.” Nick mimed, talking in a high pitched falsetto that resembled a grandmother’s voice on a Playhouse Disney show.
    “Shut up, you don’t know anything,” I replied, stopping in my tracks, proving to them they’d gotten the better of me in using the exact words I’d pleaded less than twenty-four hours ago.
    “I know he chose us.” Howard called, laughing and shooting a high-five to one of the unrecognizable figures in the shade.
    “He was high,” I argued, knowing perfectly well he’d been as sober as could be. “Thanks to you.”
    “I beg to differ Hope, he seemed quite sure of himself to me.” Howard smirked, brushing his obnoxious thirty-year old man golfer’s hair from his too-perfectly shaped eyebrows.
    “Shut the hell up.” I screamed, finally letting my emotion gain a hold over me, despite my normal ability to keep them at bay. “Just shut the hell up!”
    “What are you going to do? Second-hand smoke me to death?” Howard laughed, showing his over-whitened, overpriced square teeth like the oversized child he was. Before I could stop myself, I was charging for him, ready to punch those perfect teeth out of his mouth to the ground. Howard started to retreat but one of the shaded figures punched his leg egging him to fight me. As Howard stood to his full height of 6’7’’ I realized the odds were against me. Standing there, I seemed unsure of myself as I considered whether to turn or hit him. Overall, Reese made the choice for me, opening the screen door and emerging onto the balcony curiously.
    “Hope?” He seemed unsure of his words as he saw me, standing there like a bull ready to charge his best friend. I knew I shouldn’t, I knew I couldn’t. But then, a girl behind him wrapped her frail arms around his waist, trying to pull him back into the house. And I recognized that face, the one with unreasonably perfect cheekbones, impossibly blue eyes, and the naturally amazing smile. It belonged to none other than the Rachel Carson; head cheerleader and queen bee extraordinaire. It belonged to the one girl I’d hate to see Reese with the most. And it pissed me off. Angrily, I picked up the biggest rock from the ground at my feet and tossed it with all the skill I could muster right for Reese’s 2010 Black Mustang GT windshield. I listened for the satisfying crack of the windshield as it prepared to shatter into a million pieces the rock lodged tightly in the glass as evidence.
    “What the fuck!” Howard screamed and I prepared to toss another rock straight for his head without thinking when suddenly Reese started to chase after me, calling at Rachel to call the police. The last glimpse I saw before I ran once again was Rachel, the cell phone lifted to her ear daintily as her blonde hair whipped in the wind, only elevating her beauty along with Reese’s face in utter shock, confusion, anger, and even hurt. Then it was all a blur as I cut through lawn and beach until I finally reached a safe haven away from everyone, and Reese had stopped chasing after me. Some guys never learn. He should’ve chased me all along.
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 am

Chapter Three

Unlike myself, from the looks of my house surrounded by cop cars, the police were far from happy with me. Not to mention my mother. Aggravated, I scrambled to pull myself together. I carefully pulled my hair back, dropped my pack of cigarettes into the bushes, and straightened my clothes. If they were going to catch me, they weren’t going to catch me red-handed and with illegal substances. Smiling, I walked around the corner, ready to face my entourage.
    Reese noticed me first from his perch on the stairs. He frowned and shook his head at my ragged appearance, but it didn’t stop him from informing the closest police officer I’d arrived. Rolling my eyes, I walked to the nearest police car, holding my hands out for the cop to keep him from trying any of his wrist-breaking techniques on me. “I think you’re here to arrest me.” I informed him sweetly, trying to keep a very innocent air about me.
    “You’re Hope Fletcher?” He asked sarcastically, shaking his head before returning to his doughnut. How ironic.
    “The one and only.” I laughed, tossing my hair over my shoulder and holding out my wrists again. “I threw a rock at that asshole’s very expensive car.”
    “No shit,” The police officer growled turning to his walkie-talkie. “No worries guys I found her.” The voice on the walkie-talkie growled back a simple ‘we know’. Smiling to myself I nodded to my wrists.
    “If you’d do the honor Mr. Officer, I’d really like to be on my way already.” I informed him, rocking back and forth on my feet sadly.
    “We’ll just have a word with you inside if you would.” The police officer reached for my arm gently, leading me to the front door. I glared at Reese as I walked past, taking all my effort not to flip him the bird. They led me straight to the coffee table where my mother sat haggardly, bag visible beneath her bright violet eyes. They were the color of my eyes, but unlike mine, they were defeated by life. She forced a smile at me, showing her coffee-stained teeth. I grimaced back, taking a seat.
    “So, Hope Fletcher,” The cop began, kneading his hands into fist on the table, “This boy accused you of ruining his car.” I nodded as if I was ashamed, but the triumph must have been visible to Reese where he sat across the table. “You don’t deny it.”
    “No sir,” I replied, using my best effort not to laugh at how strange the words sounded coming from my mouth. “I was very upset.”
    “And why is that?” The officer asked, smiling at me shyly.
    “Well, last night that young man, right there,” I paused nodding towards Reese, “Broke up with me. So, today I was taking a nice walk along the road when I came across his friends outside. You’d think they’d let me past after what a horrible night I’d had. But instead his friends started to harass me, I mean we’ve never got along.” I informed the officer who was listening closely. I decided he’d be best swayed by a few gentle tears and I begged them to come. With a satisfying sob, I wiped at my eyes. “Anyways, I was very upset by how cruel they were being when he came out. And he was all over this new girl already. As you can guess, I’m not typically this sensitive, but what I saw just broke my heart. And his friend was already trying to fight me. I decided instead of hitting the person, it’d be much more responsible to hit the car instead.”
    “That was responsible,” The officer nodded, eating cake out of the palm of my hand as he listened to my sob story intently. “But it would have been more responsible to walk away.”
    “I know that now,” I smiled at his joke through my crocodile tears, “But I am just a teenager after all.” I turned my gaze intently to Reese who was frowning. In turn everyone turned to glare at him, where I tossed him a triumphant smirk.
    “True,” The officer turned back to me, patting my hand. “Perhaps we can find a way to put it all behind us. If you could just pay Mr. Hollings for his damages, I’m sure we can let this all sit behind us.” The idea of paying Reese money caused my mother to frown looking from me to the officer hastily. In the end, I knew her pride as a mother would make her pay up the officer.
    “How much?” She croaked, standing from the table and walking to her worn leather purse for her checkbook.
    “Fourteen thousand, five hundred ninety eight bucks.” Reese replied automatically running his fingers through his hair like the care-free little boy he was.
    “Fourteen thousand, five hundred ninety eight dollars?” My mother replied dubiously, shaking her head. “There must be a mistake, that’s an incredible amount.”
    “It’s a sports car, Mom.” I replied guiltily, tugging on the strings of my jacket. After all, that was the equivalent of two months of her pay working two jobs. That was the car payment, the house payment, the food cost, the everything we need to live off of cost.
    “And if we can’t pay it?” My mother asked sadly, shaking her head as she stared down at a blank check.
    “We’ll have to take her away,” The officer shrugged. Obviously, this sort of cash much be in his convenience. Unfortunately, it was nowhere near ours.
    “Reese, can I talk to you please.” I hissed, standing up from my seat suddenly. Reese laughed, standing up and leading the way to the porch. When we arrived on the balcony, an uncomfortable moment of silence passed. I should beg him just to pay it, to forgive and forget. To lie and say I love him again. But the truth was, the way he stared at me so amused, the way he was so carefree about everything was starting to just piss me off.
    “We can’t afford that.” I finally mumbled, shoving my hands into my pockets. “You know that.”
    “Really,” Reese laughed heartily, shrugging his soldiers. “Neither can my dad.”
    “Shove off Reese; I know you have the money.” I retorted bitterly, pacing along the wooden floor as the sky turned a spring shower shade of gray.
    “My dad doesn’t want to pay for it if it wasn’t my fault. I already asked.” He shrugged, “So that leaves this nice sum to you.”
    “This isn’t fair.” I argued, tossing the words to him sharply.
    “You threw the rock.” Reese reminded me, stepping closer to me. His presence was warm and inviting, and yet I just wanted to throw him off the balcony. Adorable freckle and all.
    “Did you sleep with her?” I asked suddenly, the question that had been bothering me the most just fell out without warning. Reese frowned, crossing his broad arms over his chest defiantly informing me of his coming lie.
    “No,” Reese replied automatically, staring down at me pityingly as if I couldn’t read him anymore.
    “Don’t lie,” I sighed, “It makes it worse.”
    “Look, you can pay it off slowly.” Reese offered, already caught up in his guilt. He would never fail to prove himself as a child yet again.
    “Thanks Reese,” I let out a long breath, nodding towards the kitchen. “We should probably go in.”
    “Yeah,” Reese agreed solemnly, meeting my eyes for a moment before breaking away. I could read everything about that look. The one that said I loved you, but now I’m not sure who I am anymore or if you’re part of me. It was the look that hurt a girl the worst. The one that informed you he might just move on and leave you behind.
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 am

Chapter Four

When all the cops had cleared out and we’d set a payment for Reese, it was just my mother and I left alone. We sat stubbornly across from each other at the coffee table. It was a showdown, and I was guaranteed to lose; but I didn’t want to give up just yet.
    “Hope,” She sighed, her eyes soaking in all of me as her mouth fell into a set line.
    “Mom,” I replied, and exact imitation of her exasperated self.
    “That’s a lot of money,” She reminded me, shaking her head.
    “That’s a lot of money,” I repeated, clarifying it for her as she had for me.
    “You’ll have to get a job.” She informed me stubbornly, her hair falling from it’s normal setting in a black banana clip.
    “Fine,” I growled, tapping my fingers along the edge of the table. Despite her desire to scream at me, she ignored my tapping fingers and met my eyes. I attempted to look away, but her eyes followed mine. “Anything else?”
    “I already have a job for you.” She smiled, for the first time in a long time the smile met her eyes. I smiled back, trying to act as if I wasn’t worried by her sinister grin.
    “And,” I pushed, the annoyance clear in my bitter tone.
    “On a boat,” She clarified only slightly and I swore under my breath. Only a mother would know of her daughter’s clear fear of a rocking death trap. It wasn’t a job, it was torture. It was pure and perfectly found punishment.
    “Why a boat?” I questioned, willing her to admit she’d done it on purpose. I wished I could just tell her she’d successfully ruined my life and I’d decided to call quits.
    “Your father owns a boat.” She hinted, and I could completely clarify everything. Not only was she punishing me, scaring me, and ruining my life, she was trying to ruin my spirit. It was a new low ever for her. My father? The one who’d disappeared when I was six to go sail around the world. Seriously, who is that kind of ass?
    “My father,” I said blankly, crossing my legs under the table. “That’s a nice interesting fact that I clearly resent.”
    “Well, I’d get over it soon. He’s picking you up the first day of summer and taking you along. All summer.” I stared at my mother furious. Who was she to think she could send me away on a god damn fucking boat? “It’ll be a good experience for you to get your hands dirty. They’ll be no smoking, no shopping malls, and no cursing.”
    “Whatever,” I decided; obviously I’d very clearly lost this round.
    “Well, whatever are waiting around for. He arrives in a week.” She said gleefully, clapping her hands together as I watched her. It wasn’t child abuse! Frowning, I watched her stand up and walk past me ruffling my hair. “Love you baby girl.” I ducked away, crossing my arms over my chest. Screw her. Screw the entire world. I don’t care if he has a yacht, I’m not getting on that boat. If only I’d made the police officers arrest me up front.

Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:44 am

Chapter Five

Everyone was thrilled for the last day of school. I was not. Two days was all I had left before my mother shipped me off. Not to boarding school, to my father. Clearly, no one knew of my dilemma as they threw their full binders into the trashcan before running away towards the beach. Distraught, I carefully emptied the contents of my locker into my empty backpack. It was ironic the only time I ever filled my bag was the one day I was actually leaving school.
    The extra weight was aggravating, but not as aggravating as the whoops of friends as they chattered in the halls. Not as aggravating as the people who shoved around trying to sign each other’s yearbooks quickly. Not as aggravating as seeing Reese.
    “Hope,” He called out to me, holding up his yearbook and a black sharpie. I shook my head a polite no and turned back to my locker. A couple of stay papers still clung to the dark corners as Reese came closer, examining it’s emptiness over my shoulder. “Are you coming to any of the parties tonight?”
    “I don’t party.” I reminded him quietly, tucking a piece of dark hair over my shoulder.
    “But, I figured it’s the last day of junior year. We’re fucking seniors now. Don’t you want to party?” He shook his hips spastically and I barely contained a smile as his moves.
    “I have to pack,” I finally spoke, taking the lock from my locker and dropping it in my bag. It was empty now, and this whole school year was over. So I could spend summer caught in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Oh what fun.
    “Pack?” Reese set a hand on the locker, blocking me. “You’re leaving.”
    “My mom signed me up for a summer excursion at sea.” I informed him sadly, “With my dad.”
    “You hate you dad.” He scoffed, clearly surprised by this new bit of news. I’d give him one thing though, he wasn’t acting like he didn’t remember.
    “Yes,” I agreed, “But once you break your ex-boyfriends incredibly expensive window, you don’t really get a choice to how you’re spending you summer.”
    “Sucks,” Reese smiled slightly, but stopped when he saw my glare.
    “I hate boats you know.” I stared down at my fingers, “They make me want to puke. And I’m terrified of drowning.” I finally admitted, because no matter how much I didn’t want to tell him, I had no one else to tell.
    “I know,” Reese smiled, “I remember.” He learned closer on the locker and I looked away. I didn’t want to be caught in another moment like this with him. We weren’t together anymore, he’d made that clear.
    “Well, I guess I’ll see you next year.” I finally spit it out, shutting my locker slowly.
    “Sure you don’t want to hit up just one party?” Reese asked quietly.
    “I can’t. I have to get as many burger baskets and days on stable land as possible without a hangover.” I teased, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. “Bye Reese.” Reese dropped his hand and decided to let me go.
    “Bye,” He smiled sadly, shoving his hands in his pockets. I walked past him, and as I turned the corner I realized something. It was something I’d known all along. He really was an amazing guy, just not my guy; no matter how much it broke my heart.

Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 am

Chapter Six

“Hope, come on your dad is probably already at the dock.”My mother yelled down the hallway. I looked at myself in the mirror, hair freshly groomed and laying around my shoulders. I’d opted to wear only sunscreen and a little bit of waterproof mascara. After all, who really need to impress their dad? Satisfied, I reached for the handle of my two stuffed Duffel bags and stumbled out the door.
    “I’m coming!” I called, shaking my head in disbelief. I couldn’t believe I was actually going. But, what else did this place hold for me? Reese and I were over, my mom clearly needed a break from me, and I have a total of zero friends. I dropped the bags on the floor outside the hallways, pausing only momentarily to say goodbye to my stuff before shutting the door. Down the hallways, my mother was fixing her make-up in the mirror, clearly trying to depress my dad. I almost felt bad for her, after he’d left her and yet she still felt the need to impress him. I groaned, tossing my bags on the coach and collapsing next to them. “Why are you putting on lipstick?”
    “We’re going into town Hope,” My mother said sweetly, glancing at my feet on the coffee table and lingering on it for only a second before moving on.
    “Dad isn’t going to want to marry you again Mom.” I hissed, embarrassed by her wishful teenager like thinking.
    “Feet of the coffee table,” She remarked, tossing her freshly blow-dried hair over her shoulder like an actress and taking me in with her large violet eyes. I hated to say it, but she really did look quite beautiful today. Letting my feet fall to the floor I stared back at her stubbornly.
    “Isn’t a little weird to let me go off with a stranger? I mean, I haven’t talked to dad since I was five.” I asked, wondering if I would break a little resolve in her. Tossing aside the thought, she reached for her purse and opened the door.
    “Let’s go, we wouldn’t want you to be late.” She grimaced as I struggled to gather a hold on both the bags. Without offering to help she left for the car leaving me to deal with my things. Obviously, I’d gotten to her. A little peeved, I walked along to the car and threw my bags into the rear seat before scrambling to the front. We sat in silence as she drove towards the Greenly Boat Docks where the boat was supposed to be waiting for us. When we arrived, I couldn’t get out of the car fast enough ready for the fresh salty air. Grinning, I basked in the warm sunlight letting it trace freckles along my shoulders. Summer was supposed to be carefree after all.
    And then I saw him. My dad seemed vaguely familiar, tanner with wrinkles around his eyes that aged him slightly. But, I still saw his crooked front teeth and his perfect little nose staring back at me. A girlish urge inside me told me to run and embrace him. Luckily, my more aged though process told me otherwise and I stood planted on the dock. It was awkward to see each other and know we knew so much about each other, but yet so little no matter how cliché it sounded.
    “Ralph!” My mother exclaimed behind me, shutting her car door and running to him. He embraced her openly smiling.
    “Helen,” He squeezed her tightly, looking over her shoulders at me, “And it must be Hope.”
    “Yes,” I responded tightly, crossing my arms over my chest.
    “It’s nice to see you,” He smiled goofily, opening her arms for a warm embrace. I held out a hand instead, refusing to hug him. It must’ve been a low blow because he looked taken aback as his rough hand shook mine. I wondered if he finally realized it’d been over eleven years since he’d seen me. That wasn’t a normal father daughter relationship in anyone’s book.
    “You too,” I finally managed, shoving my hands into my jean pockets.
    “I’m glad you’re coming with me all summer.” He offered, pushing up the sleeves of his T-shirt slowly.
    “It’s for the money,” I bit back bitterly, making it very clear it wasn’t my choice to come.
    “Still, it’s nice to see you again.” Ralph licked his lips, clearly at a loss for words any longer. I must not have been what he was expecting. But then again, he hadn’t seen me since I was five.
    “Would you show us the boat already Ralph!” My mother squealed excitedly, and as much as I wanted to forgive him and to join in I couldn’t muster those feelings. I followed them along the boardwalk past the expensive sailboat docked all along the side to a larger boat rocking along the waves. Its paint was a creamy white, fading with yellow in a few places. It wasn’t a new boat, and it wasn’t glamorous, but it wasn’t in the worst condition I’d ever seen. I smiled in spite of myself at the large captain wheel. Then I noticed the chipping purple paint at front where the word ‘Hope’ had been painstakingly painted in neat block letters. My stomach dropped as I stared at it. How many years had my name been on the side of his boat at sea and I’d never known?
    “This is home,” My dad remarked, stepping onto the side and holding his arms out wide in glee. “Isn’t she a beauty?”
    “It’s perfect Ralph,” My mother agreed, catching my Dad’s hand to have him help her onto the boat. I followed her, ignoring my father’s hand held out.
    “It isn’t much, but it catches a decent living and it’s a relaxing lifestyle for sure. Could help Hope wind down a little too.” He noted, leading the way along the boat smiling. I frowned, choosing to stop following them and to wander off by myself. As I turned the corner I nearly ran into a stranger.
    But, it wasn’t any stranger. Rather a very handsome, very toned and tanned stranger. “You must be the Captain’s daughter.” I nodded curiously as he wiped his hands on his bathing suit and held out a hand. “Colby.”
    “Hope,” I replied, taking a tight grip on his hand. Much like my father, he had the rough hands of a sailor. I smiled slightly in spite of myself.
    “What do you think of Hope?” He asked, patting the handrail gently. I shrugged in response.
    “It’s a boat.” I offered weakly, leaning on the railing.
    “It’s a character,” Colby corrected, buffering the railing tenderly with the sleeve of his shirt. I stood next to him silently, at a loss for word. I hated to refer back to my fifth grade intellect, but honestly; what a weirdo.
    “Very thoughtful,” I spoke carefully, considering the fact that I’d be spending the entire summer with him. I shouldn’t be judging, really.
    “Don’t be skeptical,” He read my face and chuckled good naturedly, “You spend a week on this boat and you’ll know what I mean.”
    “You have a deal.” I laughed freely, shaking my hair slightly so the wind caught it. I leaned against the railing as it held me up. It was for my safety, despite how restraining it felt. Sighing, I leaned down so my cheek was against the cold metal. “Hi Hope, it’s me. Glad to join you this summer.” I mumbled into it quietly as Colby pretended not to hear me amused. Suddenly, the boat rocked slightly in response as if to say welcome aboard. I think ‘we’ may just be friends.

Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 am

Chapter Seven

I sat down on the edge of the boat watching as my mother and father chatted with each other more than civilly. It was odd to see how well they got along and I couldn’t help but wonder why he’d pulled a disappearing act. But at the same time, I couldn’t help but to admire the scrubbed floors of the boat and the shiny rails that gleamed from the hazing sunlight making the life seem all that much more loveable. I mean bearable of course.
    “Hope,” My mother turned her attention me smiling, “Come on, we’re going to have lunch before you sail off.” I groaned at her terrible pun and giddy mood. She was never giddy around me. Disappointed, I stood up, brushing my butt of just in case. I hadn’t planned on hanging around here any longer than was necessary. Frowning, I shuffled over to them, wishing we could just leave off into the sunset already. My father helped my mother and I off the boat onto the dock, leading us along the complicated maze of boards to the Dock Restaurant. It was over-priced and the food under-quality, but it was the perfect setting for a tourist stop.
    When we walked inside, the air-conditioned air wrapped around our sun-warmed limbs making us shiver. The hostess who led us to our table was hostile and rude as she crammed up in a booth near the back. Most of the people around the restaurant had opted for Ralph Lauren Cover-Ups and Chanel bathing suits while we wore T-shirt and shorts get-ups. I frowned at the injustice of not being able to look out over the water until our waiter arrived.
    As he took the drink orders, I couldn’t help but catch myself looking over at him. His coloring was similar to that of Reese’s, but he had large doe brown eyes that I kept catching on myself. I blushed slightly as I ordered an Iced Tea and bowl of Lobster Bisque, and he informed me it was a good choice because it was the Chef’s special. As he walked away, I admired his broad shoulders until my father zoned in on me.
    “So Hope, how’s school? What grade are you in anyways?” His tone was light and playful, but it was a low-blow to think he didn’t even know where I was in school.
    “I’m going to be a senior.” I replied tightly, tearing a piece of bread from the loaf in the center of the table. My mother glared at me as she carefully cut herself a neat piece of bread. I smirked as I stuffed the entire piece into my mouth chewing obnoxiously.
    “That’s great. GPA?” He asked curiously, ignoring the bread completely.
    “Almost a 4.0.” I replied proudly, swallowing and taking a sip the water out of the wine glass that decorated every table.
    “That’s awesome. You should talk to Colby about his studies. He’s going to Stanford you know, he was valedictorian or something along those lines.” My father smiled proudly, and it’s almost as if this Colby character had replaced me as his child. My stomach dropped considerably as I forced a tight smile. It was impossible that weird yet attractive man on my dad’s boat could be a smart guy, he was too attractive, but at the same time it explained his weird attitude on life. After he’d informed me that the boat was a ‘character’ and convinced me to talk to it, he’d stalked off without a goodbye to adjust the ropes or something. I hadn’t bothered to trail along, but instead enjoyed the scenery. At the time it hadn’t occurred to me he was practically my father’s son.
    “Wow, he sounds like a dream.” My mother cooed, resting her hand on my father’s sweetly. It was almost gag-worthy.
    “He’s a good kid.” My father acknowledged as the waiter delivered our drinks. I couldn’t help but wonder what his story was. Why he was working in some upscale tourists restaurant. I looked for a name-tag, finally seeing his name. Christian. Wow, how subtle. He was probably some guy who worked to improve the earth and donated all his tips to children’s hospital to find cures for cancer. Too cliché.
    Until I noticed the tiny “Hi” scribbled on the corner of my napkin, visible only from the angle from where I was seated. I grinned and felt around in my bag for my pen. Of course he would be flirting with me. As I went to reach for the napkin, I knocked my father’s glass, spilling ice water all over the table. Quickly, my mother reached for the napkin, using the tiny message to soak up the mess. Irritated, I glared at her. Christian rushed over, rushing to my mother’s aid. I frowned, this wasn’t going right. Why couldn’t anything go right anymore?
    Suddenly, Colby appeared, cleaned up in a Polo and plaid shorts, taking him from attractive beach self to obnoxious Prep boy. Biting my tongue in anger, Christian stood up winking at me. I felt myself blush in return. But, just as quick as the moment happened, Christian saw Colby and automatically misinterpreted his presence. “Sir,” He scoffed bitterly, eyeing me cautiously as he stepped back.
    “Sorry I was late, just adjusting a little.” Colby informed me as he motioned for me to scoot in. Agitated, I shuffled along the vinyl. Not only was he my father’s new son, he’d ruined my only chance at a summer fling with the waiter. Classic.
    “That’s great,” My father applauded him as my mother zoned in on him.
    “You’re very cute.” My mother observed, fiddling with his chunky bracelets.
    “Mom,” I groaned, not caring how bratty is sounded.
    “What, it’s just a fact.” She hissed, smiling at Colby sweetly.
    “Thanks,” Colby laughed back politely, looking down at the menu. “I think I’ll go for the Grouper.” He addressed Christian suddenly. I blushed, realizing he’d been standing there the entire interaction.
    “Great choice,” Christian noted, writing down. His formerly cheerful mood, suddenly turning sullen, “And to drink?”
    “Club soda.” He ordered as I gagged from my place beside him. It was painful enough watching your divorced parents get to close, but to add the overrated replacement child in the mix was just painful. Instead, I chose to listen at them gabber on about Colby’s achievements in life, inflating his ego. Which was really too bad considering how cute he was; seriously I need to get a grip on myself.

allee<3
    allee<3

Post by allee<3 Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:57 am

Great story (: seriously...really good
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks Alleeee,
    I'll post more when I get a few more people reading it !
    allee<3
    allee<3

Post by allee<3 Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:52 am

Okay! Check mine out...Just Like Kindergarten! (:
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:30 am

Will doooo!
    IZZY
    IZZY

Post by IZZY Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:17 pm

I loveee it!

And that parachute song, too lol
    BetsyisMiley(;

Post by BetsyisMiley(; Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 pm

ahhh yay i absolutely LOVE this story!
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 am

Izzy wrote:I loveee it!

And that parachute song, too lol

I know,
    it's my favorite song!

<3mileycyrus wrote:ahhh yay i absolutely LOVE this story!
    thanks Smile
    I'll try to post more soon!
    Braelyn.
    Braelyn.

Post by Braelyn. Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:54 am

bump <3 im taking this story on again Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:42 am